The Origins of the Keith Lodge No.56
The Keith Lodge was Chartered by the Grand Lodge of Scotland on 6th February 1754, yet we know the Lodge was in existence long before our charter. From the attached excerpt it reads:-
Admission of the Keith Lodge
Being Constituted In Name and Authority of
By George Gray, John Buchan, William Farquhar, William Mill, George Lillie, Robert Buchan, Andrew Smith, John Mill Snr, Gilbert Paterson, John Mill Jnr, Andrew Thom, William Reid, Alexander Taylor
These Brethren are the recorded founding fathers of Freemasonry in Peterhead yet we must ask how long were the Masons in the town before they decided to form the Lodge & name it after the Earl Marischal George Keith. The Keith Lodge originally held the number 412 with the now extinct Lodge of Edinburgh from Dunfermline which held the number 411, They received their charter in 1739.
Our First recorded minute of Office Bearers reads:-
St Johns Day Dec 27th 1740 – Admission of Masons for The Keith Lodge of Peterhead 27th Dec 1740
Snr Warden~John Buchan
Jnr Warden~Will Farquhar
Robert Buchan, William Ried, Andrew Smith, John Milne Junior, Gilbert Paterson, John Mills, James Craighead, John Dargie.
Traditionally the installation of office bearers was always carried out on St. Johns Day (27th December)
You can read more about the Keith Lodge in our Lodge History section of the website.